Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Riding to Tuscola

Twice this season on PCC (Prairie Cycle Club) Saturday rides, a portion of the middle group broke off and went to Tuscola. I always thought Tuscola sounded like a long way away, but once you ride to Pesotum, it really isn't that much further. Just going to Tuscola via Pesotum and returning is about 50 miles - about the same as it is to Montecello and back, a trip I have made several times.

The second time we rode to Tuscola, we came back via Camargo and Villa Grove. That slight change in route added an additional ten miles to the trip. But it was OK, I had never been to beautiful downtown Camargo before. I have driven by it several times on my way to Paris or Marshall, but had never actually gotten off the hard road and driven through town. It is a nice little town that is suppose to have a very friendly grocery store.

A couple of fellow riders on that second trip to Tuscola experienced tire problems on the way home. The first was a blow-out of the tread, never a good thing on a bike ride. But I learned that you can fix that type of flat (sometimes) with a dollar bill or a candy wrapper. But it between the tire and the tube and hope that is dones't slide out of position before you get home. We wondered if a $10 would work better than a single, but we'll have to test that another time.

No comments: