The family vacationed in Hayward, Wisconsin this summer. We rented a very nice 3 bedroom cabin on Devil's Lake just SW of Hayward off County Road E. It was a very small lake, no swimming. But the cabin came with a canoe and we did paddle around a couple of times. It was a very relaxing vacation.
Of course I brought the bike along. I knew that morning rides would be a good possibility. I got three rides in, putting on about 100 miles. The first ride was into the town of Hayward, about a 10 mile trip. Early in the morning, Hayward is a sleepy little town. I rode around a bit and found a bike/cross country ski trail (it snows in the winter, you know) that skirted a golf course and the high school.
The second ride was to Earl. Good luck finding it on a map. It is really tiny. Has a "Crocks and Antiques" shop and the obligatory auto repair shop. But it did have a UCC church with a "God is Still Speaking" banner out front. I was surprised and pleased. I went south from Earl and found a bit of gravel. But it only lasted about a half mile and then the road cleared up.
The third morning I was able to ride I went west towards Earl again, but turned south on M and then east on A and followed it into the town of Stone Lake. There I found a little grocery store where I bought some Gatorade and some peanuts. The ride back to the cabin forced me to take WI-27 for several miles, but the roads up there have nice wide shoulders so the riding isn't too bad.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment