Sunday, September 13, 2009

W.R.A.T.H. 2009

The Weekend Ride Around the Hills is done.

The good news is that my new, really expensive Gore Bike Wear rain jacket works GREAT. The bad news is, I needed it all weekend. Most of South Dakota enjoyed sunny and warm weather this weekend, but there was a small little area that was centered around Mt. Rushmore that rained all weekend and never warmed up.

Saturday started with rain and for the next six hours, it rained. Sometimes hard, sometimes not very hard. But until about 2:00pm, it was really nasty. And climbing the hills (mountains?) in the rain is not fun and even scary. I smartly elected not to do the century and only did 71 miles, hitting a top speed of 43 mph coming down some hill. I have a feeling it was after leaving the four presidents. It was sunny then and the road was dry. And for those of you that have been to Mount Rushmore, you know the road down to Keystone is steep.

Dinner last night was at the Mount Rushmore Cafe where we got to select from anything and everything we wanted from the counters. I ate a lot. And then the staff gave away a few door prizes. I won the big prize of the night!! It is a new Garmin Edge 705 Bike Computer with the US Street map option. It is a wonderful device that I am anxious to learn how to use.

I am in Sioux Falls SD tonight. I'll write more later.

No comments: